Do you think social media gets to everyone?
I thought it was fascinating that social media usage is no longer increasing in most developed nations, yet is still rapidly growing in developing ones. When introduced to social media in developing countries, many people are accessing it through a smartphone for the first time. Not only may their phone be their introduction to the internet, but social media can serve as their primary source of entertainment, education, communication, and even income. While reading this article, I also recognized that just because social media is readily available to so many, there are still many who do not have access. Internet cost and digital literacy remain issues. As social media grows, I hope we can continue to bridge the gap so everyone has the opportunity to take advantage of it.
Poushter, J. (2018). Social media use continues to rise in developing countries but plateaus across developed ones: Digital divides remain, both within and across countries. Pew Research Center.
Comments
Post a Comment